Thursday 11 August 2011

Having trouble with Google cache? (Don't ask Yahoo about it.)



Lately I've been having a bizarre problem with Google (which, I am happy to say, we use only rarely these days, preferring DogPile and, occasionally, GoodSearch).

Sometimes, when I want to see the cache of a website - typically a forum thread - I get another batch of search results instead of the cache.
(I've learned to circumvent it by clicking on Translate this page, then clicking show original. Problem solved.)

At first, I thought it had something to do with Chrome, which is currently my primary browser. But the same thing happened when I used Firefox and Flock.

Apparently I am not the only one having this problem.
Here's the cache of a question on Yahoo Answers that was left unanswered.
I wanted to answer, if only by giving the link to this thread:


I couldn't. The question had been deleted.
Why?
Who knows.
But the same person asked another interesting question, namely "why does Yahoo delete all questions about Google?"

The "best" answer was that it doesn't.

It is a blatant lie, and a cringeworthy ridiculous one at that.
I have seen questions - perfectly innocent questions - related to Google deleted time and time again. (Conversely, there are tons of criminally stupid, ill-categorised and rude questions left to linger forever.)

But then look what it says on Yahoo Answers about what they expect - no, sorry: like - to see in their visitors.

What we like on Answers

  • Sharing what you know
  • Being courteous
  • Being a good citizen
  • Citing your sources
  • Asking clear questions
  • Categorizing your questions correctly

The emphasis is mine; I got the colour more or less right, but the swastika you'll have to picture it yourself...

Being a good citizen is a most commendable thing, of course. 
Unfortunately, history shows that the essence of being a good citizen is open to interpretation.
And there is no interpretation of this category visible anywhere on YA.

Even more unfortunately for YA, the question that was deleted clearly shows that it complied with all the unambiguous guidelines cited above. So, was the reason that it was deleted due to failure to comply with the one ambiguous guideline?

The obvious association - a nastier term does come to mind, but I'll let your imagination do its thing - between Google and Yahoo Answers is becoming increasingly embarrassing to watch. 
But surprising it is not. 
Who but yahoos would pledge their allegiance to Google at this point of the virtual game?


PS. The same question has been asked, verbatim, on another website.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

TELL ME!