Thursday 11 August 2011

"Bizarre" (dis)likes


Frankly, I think very few, if any, dislikes - or likes, for that matter - really are "bizarre".

What's bizarre is the reluctance of adult, presumably independently thinking, people to express their dislike of anything that has been, directly or indirectly, sanctioned by cinema, the TV, the vox populi in general, as "likeable". Sometimes they are not even aware of their own dislike until someone else expresses it. (Like an acquaintance of mine - then a young mother - who admitted, for the first time, she did not like hearing children singing, especially not in chorus, after I expressed my intense dislike of it.)

Here are a few more of my "bizarre" dislikes:


- The morning sun. (And if it's in winter, even more so.)
I usually work at night; I prefer it that way. And I don't have to wake up at any specific hour, so it's not about any association with must-do chores.
I can appreciate the dawn, but once the sun is out, that's it - I cannot bear to see it until after noon.
I dislike it so muc
h that I've moved my bedroom from the east side of the apartment to the west side.

Which brings me to...

- After-dawn mornings.
Sun or no sun, I hate mornings, most especially from around 9 - 10:45 o'clock.
As soon as noon comes, the unpleasant, dull tension that I associate with mornings disappears as if by magic.
Funnily enough, there are studies that show that most heart attacks and similar incidents tend to happen around 9 o'clock in the morning. 


- Live versions of the songs I like.
I have a really good ear and a good auditive memory. When I like what I hear, I want to hear it exactly - and I mean 100% exactly - like I remember it. Every beat, every note, every pause. Not a sigh should be different.
Call me crazy.

 
And my "bizarre" likes:

-Heavy, dark grey, stormy clouds, with or without thunder.

- Walking in the rain, especially in spring or (oh joy!) summer.
Why this is considered "bizarre" by so many people, I'll never know. There are few ordinary pleasures as intense as being kissed all over the face and bare skin (weather permitting) by warm drops of water. I say "kissed" because that's how it feels to me, especially when the droplets are very tiny. It's like hundreds of tiny, warm kisses tickling your face, your lips, your eyelids. It's so relaxing! 
People really should start leaving their umbrellas at home more often. I suspect getting wet - and surviving it - would each them things that would improve their lives in general.

- Strong wind (unless it's really freezing cold). 
Same as above, only it feels like caressing, not kissing.  
"But it messes with your hair!" says an aunt of mine. 
So what? That's part of the pleasure! It's such fun feeling your hair flying all around, as if mussed by a pair of gentle, playful hands.

- Walking barefoot.
Need I explain it? 
Well, I won't.
 
I do have a like that even I consider a little - just a little - bizarre... but it'll have to wait until some other occasion.
Meanwhile, do let us know what are some of your "bizarre" likes and dislikes.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

TELL ME!