Tuesday 19 June 2012

Goodbye, Redjellyfish?


Has Redjellyfish gone off-line permanently?
I have nobody to ask, so I am asking it here.
For the past three days I've been unable to access it.

Redjellyfish was the first website that I started visiting daily, to click for the chimps and for the rainforest. That was eleven years ago.
I took my first webmail address there: Planet-save.
Every email you sent contributed a little towards a fund intended for rainforest preservation.
I never saw it used by anyone else; I wonder why.

I loved Redjellyfish. I loved its concept, and I loved its appearance - all red and green and nice - I loved its puzzles (even though they hadn't been updated in years).
I loved everything about it, because I loved what it represented: the early days of my internet experience, more than eleven years ago now, when my world was coming into its fullness; when everything was good and kind and fun, and appeared to be becoming ever better.

That's why I would miss Redjellyfish so much.
I actually have tears in my eyes as I write this. Tears for everything that I thought would be, for the promise of yesteryear. It never really materialised, or it did so differently than I thought it would; but that doesn't even matter. The promise itself was enough to rest easily at night and wake up with stars in one's eyes.

I want Redjellyfish back.
I want my yesterday's future back.





ADDENDUM: On June 21st, Redjellyfish came back. :)
Now I want the rest of my life back, too.


YET ANOTHER ADDENDUM (December 26th, 2012): 
About a fortnight ago, Redjellyfish disappeared from the web again.
I fear - and I hope I am wrong - it is for good this time.


AND THE FINAL (?) ADDENDUM (September 22th, 2014):
It's been almost a month since I've last clicked successfully on the DONATE buttons. I also sent an email - twice - to the email addresses indicated on the website, but they came back as undeliverable.
I fear this really is the end of my beloved Redjellyfish.
And to me it is also the end of an era. A happy era, the likes of which, I am afraid, I shall never see again.











0 comments:

Post a Comment

TELL ME!