Thursday 31 March 2011

Meet my new Cerberus - Avast!





Ever since Symantec clogged my PC's brain, many years ago now, and made it unusable (it's a long, long story...), I used Grisoft's wonderful free-of-charge antivirus software, backed up by Spybot Search & Destroy. It was light, it was effective and it cost nothing.
(One of the things I discovered thanks to the experience with Symantec was that most individual users do not really need the heavy - and I mean HEAVY - artillery of paid AV programs. Good freeware programs are much lighter and just as effective, unless you regularly crawl through swamps of viruses and Trojans.)

In June 2008 Grisoft discontinued support for its free edition. 
Since I never really needed any support, I didn't mind. But I did notice that small problems started to pop up here and there during updates and such.
Most of all, I love trying new software, so I decided to shop around (or rather, freeb around) for an alternative to Grisoft.

I've tried too many software programs to even remember - let alone compare - them all right now, so I'll just skip to the one that impressed me enough to adopt it permanently.




It is light, it is very effective (in my experience), its interface is very user-friendly - and it is free of charge. 
The free edition does NOT offer anti-spam protection or protection against hackers. But most people have other programs - or just the appropriate settings enabled on their OS - that do. 
(Besides, with so many people using Gmail nowadays, spam has become a very minor issue for many.)

I've been using it for more than six months now, and I am very pleased with it.
If you try it and want to let someone know how well - or how badly - it worked for you, you know where to write. ;)






0 comments:

Post a Comment

TELL ME!