Sunday 24 January 2010

Going green: Grow your own furniture


I once heard a story about one of my ancestors who loved birds so much that he had living trees transplanted - in huge pots and barrels - into a special room, so that his many domesticated (at least I hope so!) winged pets could fly around freely, as in a forest.
(I am assuming they did everything else "as in a forest", too, but let's not go there now. I wonder what the cleaner team's descendants are blogging about...)

Anyway, I was delighted when I heard this story, because as a child - being "young and heartless" - I had often thought of somehow doing the same thing. Not because of love of birds (I do love them dearly), but out of love for trees.
I am mad about trees. I love them and respect them and adore them in all but the "heathen" ways. If you ever want to impress me with flower shop gifts, don't bring me cut roses or even potted floral beauties - bring me a small tree in a pot!

And so, I am naturally attracted to everything and anything that has to do with trees as an active part of one's living environment.

Which is all the more reason why I was so surprised to find out that arborsculpture - sculptural shaping of trees - can be used to create furniture, gazebos, you-name-it (even jewelry!).

I mean, it is a thought that surely has crossed the mind of anyone who has ever sat comfortably on all sorts of natural improvised "seats", from tree roots to logs. But to find out that people actually do grow trees with a proper seating or habitational function in mind was somewhat startling.





Read about it here.

To see a number of fascinating traditional examples (mostly bridges) go here:


Here is a blog you can follow, with lots of good advice and fabulous examples of tree "architecture" worldwide.

And finally, here is a book you can buy:






I admit, I prefer sleek but comfortable modern furniture to any Louis.
But this is just enchanting.

And it is as "green" as it goes.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kool!
But isn't that like..... torture? I don't know how plants feel, but they must feel something?

Myosotis said...

Funny you should say that... :)To be quite honest, I ha the same thought.
It's probably inevitable.

But I think in this case we really may be projecting, "antropomorphising", as it were.

At least I HOPE so!

(Oh, and thank you so much stopping by. :))

Myosotis said...

P.S. What I said about "antropomorphising" etc. refers to the idea of "pain" only.
Plants absolutely DO "feel", and I suspect much more intensely or subtly than humans can even fathom.

Post a Comment

TELL ME!