Monday 12 May 2008

LifeCell... what the hell?


(A.S. If you want a firm verdict on this product, there is none. Clearly it has harmed some, perhaps worked for others, and its marketing relies on dubious ploys much too heavily for comfort. If that's all you wanted to know, you can surf away now - but not before you scroll all the way down and read the final edit. :-))


Well (and that makes a double rhyme), you'll excuse my language, but that's what I keep thinking after having browsed around looking for information about "anti-aging" creams, and a certain product in particular...

After sifting through the usual irritatingly prolific (and still proliferating!) batch of links for anti-wrinkle creams - which is NOT what I am looking for, I am interested in anti-sagging products - weariness finally got the best of me, and I clicked on a link just to give my eyes a rest...

And there it was.
The WONDER cream!
The Holy Grail of anti-wrinkle creams!

I don't have wrinkles - certainly not in my opinion - but I do have a relative or two who would be very interested in such a product, so I kept reading...

Wow, I thought... This must be really something!
And in order to determine just what it would be, I kept on searching and clicking.

But it just kept looking more and more promising: blog after blog - all personal blogs, and we all know that personal blogs are the last outpost, the last virtual sanctuary of innocence and integrity, right...? - all vouching for the wonderful qualities of said cream. (Or serum - whatever.)

It's not that I don't believe in "wonders" of any kind.
I do.

(In fact, I've seen quite a few happen in my own kitchen. A few years ago, I managed to mix up a home-made skin preparation that worked miraculously - there is no other way of putting it. Unfortunately, the second time around, the recipe - which had been improvised - didn't work... Oh yeah.)

So, yes, I do believe in wonders - even in "wonder creams".

But something in the tone of all those blogs didn't sound right.
They were very well written, with just the right amount of "subjectivity"...

And then, I found a website that purportedly featured "independent reviews".
Same story: not many reviews, but those that were there were positively glowing... except one.

Aha! I thought, and avidly read on.

The cream and its marketing is all a scam, said the reviewer.
And yet, there was something just a tiny bit obfuscating about that review itself: not enough data to support the negative claims, so I wasn't readily convinced... Google-search for "scam" (+ the name of the cream, of course), it said.

OK, I thought, and I did.

And what do you know... The very first result on the first results page had this title:

NAME-OF-CREAM WARNING

 
(Aha! I thought again, very happy with my own pre-shopping sagacity...)


And the first line under that title, visible on the Google results page, said this:

Don't get NAME-OF-CREAM before you read this review.


Goody! Let's read then!, I thought, and I clicked on the link.

Without further-ado - no word of warning, no scams even mentioned on the page itself! - the "warning" review proceeded to sing the praises of said cream and list it as the number 1, the best, the bestest...
So did the comments in apparent response to the review.

Now you tell me: don't you find it odd that a search on "NAME-OF-CREAM scam" would bring up a seemingly independent non-commercial website with no actual mention of any of the search terms in it?
Why exactly would a independent non-commercial website try to lure visitors by including keywords as "scam" or "warning" - when its content does nothing but shower praise on the product?

I am sure it's a fine cream. But I don't have wrinkles anyway.
And if I stay away from the murky waters of the internet where so many prey on the abyss of human good faith, I might delay their appearance for another ten years or so... ;)


P.S.

If you think this might be yet another angle to the same scam, I must say that you're very perceptive and intelligent, and I predict you'll go far.

But it's not.

However, if you work for the product's makers or marketers and are seeking yet another propaganda outlet, I am open to offers... Just send me the right amount: of the cream and of the $. ;)
I will definitely give it a try, and I might even consider plugging it here.

But I might as well tell you right now that I will be openly admitting to marketing it.


And then, there was silence... 



EDIT (April 16, 2011):

For some reason, this post seems to be one of the most popular - by far - in this blog.

I suspect the reason is that the product in question is still making the rounds, luring people.

Proceed with caution - that's all I am saying.
And feel free to report how it worked for you.

However, if you believe that your skin has been damaged by this - or any other - product, do not despair.
There are natural products that can help you. I would suggest you try argan oil (cold-pressed)
So far I haven't seen or heard anyone have a bad experience with it, but a large majority report a significantly improved skin.

BTW, a blog of ours, about beauty, is expected to be re-opened soon
I am sure argan oil will be discussed, among other products.

Stay tuned. ;-)


EDIT (May 19, 2011): The blog that I talked about earlier in the text - The Self-Made Beauty - has (finally!) been reopened.
Do not expect Lynx, its main author, to spend too much time on it. She is one incredibly busy lady.
But I am sure the posts you will find there will be more than worth your while.













12 comments:

Anonymous said...

LifeCell is not only useless BUT causes small red bumps, whiteheads, and enlarged pores. That's what it did to me. Oh they sent me a replacement tube completely free of charge. I didn't get the bumps, whitheads, etc. but this time got my skin dried out, again worse than it was before. After some internet research, I managed to find two other people that complained, one saying it caused dryness and red rough patches and another saying it caused hives. Don't waste your money!

Myosotis said...

***

Thank you for sharing your experience!

What I dislike most of all is the insidious "marketing", such as described in the post. Such devices are never a good sign - as your experience confirms.

BTW, in case you're interested in firming concoctions (as I am), then I wonder, have you tried L'Oreal's new Revitalift?
I have yet to try it, but some people praise it A LOT.

And another BTW: my friend Lynx will be adding a post about skin firming essential oils and other natural substances in the near future. Be sure to check her blog "The Self-Made Beauty". (It's associated with this blog.)

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find an honest website regarding Lifecell. I got roped in and purchased Lifecell in the hopes that it lived up to it's claims. Not a chance. Not only did it not do a single thing it claimed, but I watched my skin deteriorate considerably. What a scam. Sent an email to cancel my next order, and was replied to confirming that my order had been shipped. I fought hard to cancel, but won in the end. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. THIS STUFF IS BAD NEWS.

Myosotis said...

First of all, sorry for the delay in publishing the comment. It had nothing to do with your valuable opinion - it's just that there are very few of us moderating this at this time, so it takes time. :)

Regarding LifeCell... yes, I think it was a fad - a scam, to be more precise. I am sorry you had to find it out the hard way. But at least others won't buy into it - I hope!

Then again, there ARE good skin care products out there.
Perhaps it's time to review some. :)

Anonymous said...

Yep...I bought a bottle of Lifecell as well and I think my skin looks worse than ever. I had tried meaningful beauty first and that gave my skin a glow but did nothing for my fine lines, so I decided to try lifecell. That was far worse...my skin is broken out and looks dried out. The fine lines still remain. It also claims if you put it on your lips...they will plump...definitely not the case...lol. I'm not sure what I'll try next, but there's definitely got to be something better out there than lifecell.

Myosotis said...

Thank you very much for stopping by and for telling your opinion about LifeCell!
We really appreciate it, and no doubt, other readers will, too.

Do not give up, though.
A blog of ours, about beauty, will soon be reopened. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this; I too looked up "skin cream name +scam" and came up with nothing but company placed "Miracle Cream" websites. Finally, an honest article with REAL comments.

Anonymous said...

I also got sucked into believing the scams on Lifecell, but didn't purchase it. The funniest part of the review sites is that in the disclosures(hidden fairly well)it CLEARLY states that these sites take compensation for giving a good position and review of a product!! How pitiful!!

Relift XS said...

LifeCell is the best anti-aging skin cream I have ever seen and used. This skin care product delivers what the manufacturers promise. The wrinkles on the face simply disappear. They cannot be seen by others. It is not only my experience, but also that of my friends. The wrinkles and age spots are not visible when we use LifeCell.

Anonymous said...

i'd check relift xs's creds ... sounds like a plant to me!
all other responders had nasty results.
any time one cannot find a legitimate independent review easily it should raise the red flag of doubt immediately.
nuff said.

Myosotis said...

Dear anonymous commentator who wrote a very kind message on April 23, 2012:

We found your comment in the Spam folder - don't ask us why! - and when we clicked on "NOT spam"... the comment disappeared.
Clearly it hasn't been published. We tried to retrieve it by means of caches, but to no avail.

Please, if you happen to read this, know that that we cherish every comment, but such nice and appreciative comments... well, we cherish them even more. :-)

THANK YOU for having stopped by and written the comment, whoever you are.

Anonymous said...

Hello to all, for the reason that I am in fact eager of reading this webpage's
post to be updated on a regular basis. It carries good data.

Post a Comment

TELL ME!